Rowing is best exercise for maintaining heart health and also for weight reduction. Rowing machine helps in burning calories very faster than any other machine or method. It is most effective way to build muscles with no risk of injury. Most of the people are hesitant in using the rowing machine at gyms because they don’t know how to use it properly thus they feel shy to use in front of other people.
They think that rowing is full of hardship and ticklish. But the case is opposite, it just require careful handling. Understanding and adopting few procedures and keeping body postures accurate will help you to learn basics of machines within few days. Rowing machine consists of a seat, handle, foot paddle, and little monitor. You just need to position your body and make to and fro movements.
Following are some words of advice regarding rowing machine use that will help new user to use the machine.
- Preliminary steps:
- Wear a suitable dress. Avoid wearing long and lose clothes as they may catch in with movement of seat.
- Sit on the seat of the rowing machine and set your feet on the foot pedal.Tie them tightly so they don’t move with the movement of seat.
- Grasp the handle with both hands. Avoid holding it too tightly just make it a comfortable grip.Both hands should be apart from each other at arms- shoulder width. It will make rowing easy.
- In new models of rowing machine, user can fix resistance easily. New user should first set it at low resistance and when he thinks that he can use it properly then he may start increasing the resistance gradually. If person take start from high resistance he will get much tired and it also has many chances of getting back pain. So, it is highly suggested moving from low resistance to high resistance with passage of time.
- Rowing phases:
- The catch: When you make a comfortable grip now start moving. Your back should be straight and legs should be vertical to the ground.
- Drive:It is a phase in which thigh is going far from the chest. Position of legs also changes from vertical to straight. Pull the handle towards your chest. This phase complete when your back will lean in eleven o clock position.
- Recovery :
Push handle forward with extending your arms. This is recovery phase. Also move your back forward but keeping it straight.
Repeat these phases for the time that you fix for exercise.
New beginner mostly get back problems as they exert more pressure on back and feels much fatigue using a rowing machine then other machine. Remember to keep your back always straight, either it is at eleven o clock position or one o clock.
Proper handling and paying attention to body postures is very important. Rowing exercises if done properly can provide unlimited health and fitness benefits. You may read user manual before using the machine for the first time as manufacturer manual also provides detailed information about right ways of using the rowing machine.